Who is eligible to get a copy of a birth certificate?
Can a grandparent get a copy of their grandchild's birth certificate?
- Birth certificates are not public information and can only be issued to the individuals named in 10 NYCRRR 35.2 and Public Health Law 4173.
- The person named on the birth certificate.
- A parent of the person named on the birth certificate. The requesting parent's name must be on the birth certificate.
- A spouse, child or others, but only by order of a New York State court.
- The order would be obtained by filing an Article 78.
- There are no court supplied forms for this topic and the form books in Lexis and Westlaw do not have samples. Adapting a form for requesting a sealed adoption record may be an option.
Was this helpful? 0 0