Q. How do I amend pleadings? How do I add parties?
Amending pleadings and adding parties will require legal research taking into accounting the facts of your case. The "Checklist for Amending and Supplementing Pleadings" gives the elements that must be considered:
- Determine whether pleadings can and should be amended without leave of court. See § 1.15 below.
- If claims or parties need to be added, obtain leave of court by stipulation of parties to amend pleading. CPLR 3025(b), CPLR 1003. See § 1.16 below.
- Determine pleadings should be supplemented to set forth additional or subsequent transactions or occurrences. CPLR 3025(b). See § 1.16 below.
- Respond to amended or supplemental pleading, if necessary, within 20 days after service. CPLR 3025(d). See § 1.17 below.
- 1 LexisNexis AnswerGuide New York Civil Litigation § 1.14 (2020)
Was this helpful? 0 0