Q. Must I change my name when I get married or divorced?
- How do I change my name when I get married?
- Must I change my birth certificate if I change my name after marriage?
- CourtHelp explains the process of changing of your name after marriage or divorce.
- It is not necessary to change your birth certificate upon marriage.
- The birth certificate reflects the name of the child at that time, unless there has been a legal name change or adoption.
- Your marriage certificate is proof of your new name and can be used to change your name on other identification papers such as your Social Security card, driver’s license or passport.
Civil Rights Law § 65 Optional change of name upon marriage, divorce or annulment and Domestic Relations Law § 15 Duties of Town and City Clerks govern name changes upon marriage and divorce.
Was this helpful? 0 0