Q. How do I obtain certified copies of NYS law for foreign purposes (e.g. proceedings in another country connected to a divorce matter in New York)?

Some foreign countries may not have a particular law, but may recognize another country's law. For example, someone could be married in the Philippines, then divorced in NYC. The Philippines doesn't yet have a divorce law, but they seem to recognize foreign judgments of divorce through a local court proceeding; a person married there (who later was divorced in the U.S.) will be actively listed as married until the proceeding in the Philippines is concluded.

Please note that, contrary to what some foreign laws may indicate, New York State law librarians are NOT authorized to authenticate or certify copies of local or state law. And, unfortunately, court or county clerks are not able to do so.

However, the New York State Legislative Bill Drafting Commission (NYSLBDC) provides law certification services. Please direct any requests or inquiries to the LBDC administrative clerk, Jill Douglass, jdouglass@lbdc.state.ny.us or via mail:

Law Certification Services

NYS Legislative Bill Drafting Commission

55 Elk Street, Albany, NY 12210

Just remember that there will be fees involved, but that office is the one who can handle your request and determine those fees.


  • Last Updated Mar 18, 2021
  • Views 1
  • Answered By Librarian 19

FAQ Actions

Was this helpful? 0   0