Q. I cannot afford court fees for filing a case.

How do I get a fee waiver?  I have also been told that this is known as poor person's relief or informa pauperis or indigent relief.


From the CourtHelp website: 

If you are getting public benefits, are a low-income person, or do not have enough money to pay for your household’s basic needs and your court fees, you can ask the court for a "fee waiver." This is also called "poor person’s relief." [CPLR 1101]

With a fee waiver, you won’t have to pay court costs for starting a case, filing a jury demand, appealing a court decision and getting a transcript of the trial.


  • Last Updated Aug 03, 2020
  • Views 23
  • Answered By Librarian 5

FAQ Actions

Was this helpful? 0   0