Q. How do I sue the State of New York or any of its municipalities?


Suing a municipality  or the state for an injury  can be complex and often requires the assistance of an attorney. The attached bibliography recommends Public Access law Library materials that may help you prepare a case.

The New York State Court of Claims is the exclusive forum for civil litigation seeking damages against the State of New York or certain other State-related entities such as the New York State Thruway Authority, the City University of New York, the Olympic Regional Development Authority, the Roswell Park Cancer Institute Corporation and the New York State Power Authority (claims for the appropriation of real property only).

The Court of Claims has no jurisdiction over any city, county or town government, or over any individual defendant -- Court of Claims Home page.



  • Last Updated Nov 06, 2019
  • Views 73
  • Answered By Librarian 5

FAQ Actions

Was this helpful? 0   0