Q. I have a relative under guardianship and now want to move to another state. What must I do to have a guardianship recognized by a different state?


The Uniform Adult Guardianship and Protective Proceedings Jurisdiction Act (UAGPPJA) , Mental Hygiene Law, Art 83 may cover this situation.  

"Although the UAGPPJA does not modify any substantive rules regarding adult guardianships in New York, it does, however, provide a mechanism for resolving jurisdictional issues often faced in multi-state adult guardianship matters, including taking testimony in another jurisdiction, and communication and cooperation between New York courts and the courts of another state". New Elder law 8:75 


  • Last Updated Nov 06, 2019
  • Views 28
  • Answered By Librarian 5

FAQ Actions

Was this helpful? 0   0